To make your house safe and secure it is essential to go for an effective Smoke Detector. But if the Smoke Detector begins malfunctioning, it is your duty to get it routinely checked by professionals like us at Security Alarms Company. Smoke detectors are required to trigger a loud noise once the battery needs changing. The smoke alarm clears all the errors once the battery is charged, but it might continue to make the particular noise even after you change the batteries. When this occurs, the best means to stop the noise is by resetting the smoke alarm to manually clear the error from the processor.
The Smoke Detector Is Most Likely Not Connected to The Security System
This situation can arise when your smoke detector is not well connected to the security keypad. That means, if the smoke detector begins to beep, the alarm company won’t have the choice to make it stop.
Common Reasons for Smoke Detector Beeping
1. Low Battery
Once the battery in the smoke alarm gets weak, it triggers a noise once a minute to let you know that the battery is down and needs to be replaced. It is important to know that only the devices with a low battery will make a noise. The other interconnected alarms are supposed to be silent.
2. Temperature Fluctuations at Home
If you set your thermostat at an unusually low or high temperature, the smoke detector traces that and triggers a loud alert. Another reason for the trigger could be the detection of hot air coming from the bathroom or kitchen. To avoid such a situation, it is prudent to move the smoke detector at such a position that the hot air does not reach the alarm vents.
3. Battery Pull-Tab is still attached to the Alarm
It is necessary to remove the battery pull-tab after AC power is connected to the detector.
How to reset the smoke detector to stop beeping after installing a new battery?
In the case of Battery-Powered Smoke Detector
- Take out the battery from the smoke detector. Press the ‘Test’ button for 15 seconds and automatically an alarm sound will come out for a minute and then I’ll stop.
- Install the new battery back in the smoke detector. The device will make one short noise to indicate that the battery has been connected.
In case of Electric Smoke Detectors with Battery Back-up
- Switch off the main breaker placed in the breaker box at your house to turn off the electrical current running to the smoke detector.
- Take it off the ceiling bracket and disconnect the power cable plugged in. Take out the battery, and then press the ‘Test’ holding it down for 15 seconds. A short alarm will be triggered.
- Lastly, place the new battery in, reconnect the power cable and mount it back into the bracket. Switch on the breaker. The smoke detector alarm will make a noise one time to indicate that the power has been restored.
It is essential to install a smoke detector at your house to make sure that you and your family are alerted in case of a fire at home. Make sure that your smoke detector is well-functioning and does not malfunction by creating unnecessary beeping.
Connect with Security Alarms Company to fetch more advice on the accurate locations for smoke detectors in your house and other vital data.